Sunday, December 28, 2014

To Sleep or Not To Sleep?

No, that is not really a question, but I cycle through phases of sleep. Sometimes I sleep really well. I have to be honest and state that these times of sleep are when I eat clean and avoid grains and dairy, exercise (moderately), and keep a hold on the stress in my life. 
Then there are the other 95% percent of times when I vacillate between not being able to fall asleep and falling asleep but waking every 2 hours. 

So lets start with the typical sleep cycle. Did you know there are stages of sleep? And not just the REM cycle...


In my anatomy and physiology class we learned from the great Dr. Tristum Eaton that sleep cycles run in 90 minute intervals (so you really need to divide your sleep cycle by 90 and make sure you are not shorting yourself a cycle). 

At any rate things that negatively effect sleep:

Light
Sure you already know that it is difficult to sleep with the lights on, but did you know that it is not just your eyes that are effected by light in your room. If your room has windows (like mine) and those windows let in street lamp light that light landing anywhere on your skin impacts your quality of sleep. (Google it - there was a study where a flashlight was shone (shined?) on the subjects knee.) So while the sleep mask might help you fall asleep and stay asleep if you have light reaching your skin (hello your face isn't covered when you sleep, unless you sleep in a cocoon sleeping bag, but then your nose and mouth are out) you may not be getting the best quality of sleep. 

Then there are all those little lights that no one wants to talk about.... unless the electronics in your room emit RED light it is most likely effecting your circadian rhythm. Consider removing ALL electronics from your bedroom including your electronic alarm clock. Replace your alarm clock with the old fashioned non-light emitting kind (oh wait there is even more of an argument for this one). Try it just for a month and see if you don't sleep better. 

Artificial light
Our bodies are designed to take our cues from nature. When the sun sets it is gradual. It tells our bodies that it is time to wind down our day and activities and to get to bed. The problem is that we live in an artificial light world. The lights in our houses are as bright at 10pm as they are at 10am.  The solution is simple. Turn down your lights. If you have multiple lights in a room try turning some off. If you like candle light try using candle light for the last 30 minutes before bed.

Electronics
Back to beat a dead horse. By now, most people acknowledge that the light from our screens (television, phones, computers) all disrupt our sleep cycle. The recommendation is to turn all screens off 2 hours before your go to bed. This would mean replacing the mindless television show you are watching (which isn't as mindless as you think if you know what is going on in the show) with a book, listening to music (without a digital display screen), taking a walk outside as the light goes down, or even meditating. 
A note on reading, if you are going to read before bed make sure you allow yourself 20 minutes after you have read to process what you have read so your mind is not racing when you climb into bed. 

For me the issues are simple and the solutions are even simpler. 
Noise
The one window (that has not been replaced) rattles (storm and window) and the noise disturbs me. There is some research that our brains learn to tune out routine noises, but for whatever reason this noise bothers me. Since we don't use that window all that much I am tempted to calk the storm (holding it in place) and the window, but I think the easier solution is to MacGyver it with some duct tape.
Light
The light from the street bothers me. Insulated or black out curtains are not an option, but asking the hubby to leave them shut when I am sleeping. He likes to leave an opening for the cat to look out. She likes that he does that too, but I need to sleep. I have also flipped so my feet are at the window and not my head.
Routine
I need a nighttime routine and I need to stick to it. Chamomile tea and some meditation by candle light will do wonders.
I also need a morning routine. Did you know that the snooze button actually makes you more tires? See the above where I informed you that we sleep in 90 minute cycles which means that a 3-10 minute snooze setting does not allow you to get any more sleep. I need to start listening to my body. I typically wake around 5:30 in the morning, but I struggle to stay in bed using the snooze button for over an hour (at which point it turns off) and maybe even staying in bed until 10:30....
Lastly, I need to honor my body by eating clean, avoiding grains and dairy and getting in some daily activity (even just a walk around the block). 

How about you? What do you do to improve you quality of sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time read our ramblings and comment on our Blog.