Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Tooth-powder

It has been awhile ... like weeks ... woah. (Edited by Momma on 3/2/16. Lyssa was waiting for me to grab some photos and I kept misplacing the cord to my camera to load pictures onto the computer, so better late than never, and on a Wellness Wednesday no less.)
Life has definitely been busy lately. Mom got back to work and is trying to build up a business for massage, maybe we can get some posts about stress relief in. I've been fight training, and doing that required thing called school. Yippee.

I figured it's been all too long since our last post, and while mom is super busy doing work I can post some short blurbs with recipes. Such as today's which is a homemade tooth-powder. ONWARD!

A couple of months ago I began to notice that I was getting little tiny breakouts in the corners of my mouth. Attractive, I know. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why. I was eating well, drinking water, using natural products on my face. Then one day I got an extremely unsightly blemish on my forehead. (Again, attractive, I know.) So I decided to do the well known put some toothpaste on it over night trick.

I woke up the next morning, and to my teenage hormonal horror I had three blemishes where the old on once stood. It was like the ghost of zits past had attacked me ... lovely. Then as I accepted the reality that I would be going outside with the Triforce on my face I came to a realization. Maybe ... just maybe ... something in the toothpaste was reacting with my skin.

I decided to hunt the Internet for an alternative until my mother bought a new tube of toothpaste. I came across the concept of tooth powder. It's literally powder for your teeth. One of the most popular DIY tooth-powders was baking soda with some sort of essential oil in it. I tried it for the next few days, and almost immediately the breakouts on my mouth cleared up.

I loved it so much that I didn't even try the new toothpaste my mom got, and continued use of the powder.

One day while browsing the inter webs I came across a blog post talking about how charcoal could be used to whiten teeth. Not the charcoal that you find in a fire pit though ... please don't whiten your teeth with the charcoal in the fire ... It was activated charcoal which specialized in pulling impurities from what it comes in contact with.

I danced with joy at the prospect of a tooth whitening substance that wasn't abrasive to tooth enamel, unlike peroxide, lemon, mouth wash, and laser whitening.

The only drawback is it's effects aren't immediate. It takes a few weeks, but it's worth it.

So after a long introduction here's the recipe:

1 tablespoon baking soda

3-4 capsules of Activated Charcoal (found as a health supplement in stores)
Essential oil (I usually use Peppermint)

Mix those all together in a resealable container. Keep in a dry place.



To use it, you literally use it as you would regular toothpaste. It is dry to begin with, but eventually it'll turn to a black liquid in your mouth. Brush for a few minutes then admire your demonic teeth in the mirror.

Try to brush and spit as much of the mixture as possible ... because it tastes gross.

Now wasn't that just a post full of absolutely lovely imagery. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time read our ramblings and comment on our Blog.