Monday, March 21, 2016

Monday Money Matters - Pinterest Pick

This Pinterest Pin promises that I can make money in my spare time. Most people are looking for ways to make money in their spare time, and I am no exception. The pin takes me to a site title Work From Home Happiness. According to the article I can make money by doing micro tasks. The pay ranges from $0.01 to $7.00 per task. There is little information about the tasks listed (I have to create accounts to gain access to that information). Sure micro tasks shouldn't take long and can add up quickly, but I am looking for something more reliable.

As for my current money making projects I have come to realize I need to devote more specific time to my massage practice in order to grow it. So I will be setting myself up with "office hours". This simply means if I am not massaging during those hours I am doing something to promote my business.

I haven't put anything up on the Facebook Auction sites in a few weeks. The reason being is that it is time consuming. I have to take the photos, transfer them, list them with descriptions and then if I list 10 items I sell maybe 5 and of those 5 maybe 3 come through. Additionally the sites keep changing the rules (weekly) and I am a stickler for the rules. One of the groups was called "Quarter Auction Mania" and the bids started at a quarter and moved up in quarter increments. It is a double edged sword. Because items start at a quarter one can list small trinkets that would normally sell at a garage sale for a quarter, but then people have second thoughts about making a 10 or 15 minute drive to pickup a single quarter item. With the other group the bids start at whatever the person chooses and go up in quarter increments. The items that I have sold on the second group have all been picked up, but I tend to sell less. I'll keep listing items this week and see how it goes. The weather is looking up so it might just be time to start having a few garage sales.

In my area I can have 3 garage sales a year (more than that and we have to have permits and tax licenses). The issues I struggle with for holding a garage sale are:
1. I am no longer on a main drag, I am on a side street off that same main drag
2. I no longer have a driveway to set up in, nor do I have a sufficient front yard to set up in.

  •        I could trek out to my friend's home and join her for a garage sale or two, but I have to drive all the way out there (and I don't have a car) and I have to pack a bunch of stuff and find tables.  
  •        I could ask the landlord about setting up in the driveway of the house that is being renovated right behind me, but I personally would wonder about the person and the items being sold at a sale at an abandoned house.
  •       I could try for one of the public market garage sale days, but then I have to pay a space fee $50 (I believe) AND get all my stuff and tables to the Market for sale. 
I think my best bet for a garage sale is simply to set up in the small space I have in front of my place and hope for the best. 

The other thing to take into consideration is if all I have left is piddly little items is it worth selling them? Would I be better served to donate them (would any organization want them) or give them away?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time read our ramblings and comment on our Blog.