Thursday, January 15, 2015

2015 Post Resolutions

For the past several years I have tried to find a way to make resolutions I could keep, then I did away with them all together.

The reason many people fail (including myself) when setting resolutions is that they set resolutions that are too big.  Setting achievable resolutions or goals runs counter to my belief that "You shoot for the moon because even if you fail you land among the stars"

The reality is that big dream, big goals and big resolutions are not the problem. The problem is a failure to plan. Fail to plan = plan to fail.  The bigger the dream the more important it is to break that down into smaller achievable steps.  It is also important to remember that you only fail to reach your goals when you STOP trying to reach them. No matter how many times you fall backwards or feel like you are stagnant you only fail if you let those things stop you. If you look at them as challenges to overcome or road blocks put in your path to cause you to stop and think or reevaluate. 

Beyond setting goals is the willingness to reevaluate and change those goals. Maybe on New Year's Eve you set your goal that you want to lose 40 pounds but later in the year you are down 25 pounds and you feel great maybe you reevaluate. How important is it to you to be down 40 pounds? Why did you want to lose the 40 pounds in the first place? Have you achieved those goals (feeling better, more energy, less aches and pains) without reaching that specific 40 pound goal?

Last year instead of resolutions my youngest daughter and I made vision boards. I was inspired to make a vision board by Sheila Kennedy, The Confidence Coach. A vision board is different than setting specific goals. Instead you set ideas or intentions. Mine for 2014 were to "live well", "love life", "simplicity", "family", "organized"... You can read more about my 2014 intentions in this post, this weekend the girls and I will be creating intention boards for 2015.  I had wanted to do these boards the first weekend in 2015, but time just wasn't cooperating with me.  Instead of focusing on getting the boards done I enjoyed the time and activities I had planned and available to me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time read our ramblings and comment on our Blog.