Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Time Management Tuesday

Isn't it ironic that my post for Time Management Tuesday is late because of poor time management? 

Better late than never. 

In last Tuesday's post I had mentioned that I needed to put up my curtain rods, and that I could make the task more manageable by putting up one pair a day. Well here I sit in the middle of a major snow storm and I still don't have my insulated curtains up. 

It is a fairly easy task. They are the cheapo white ones that install with hammer and finishing nails. 

I have put up curtain rods, several in the house I shared with the X for 15 years. 

So why can't I bring myself to tackle this task?

There are MANY reasons:

The clutter and chaos of the space is overwhelming and I feel like I CANNOT tackle it. 

I do not like the curtain rods. They are the cheap white metal ones and I just don't care for them. They WILL show (and not just when my curtains are open) all the time because I have grommetted curtains. I also don't really care for the curtains that I have. I don't mean to sound ungrateful for either the curtains or the curtain rods (my mother purchased both for me because I could not afford them myself). But here is my dilemma, I am tired of having to make do, just because. So instead of hating the curtains that my mother was generous enough to purchase for me, I am going to use them to help save on my energy costs and figure out WHAT it is I WANT. Then I am going to price out what I want and start saving to HAVE what I WANT. 

Lastly, and most importantly is my fear of failure. I have spent my whole life being told I am not particularly good at anything (except that I would make a good lawyer, hence my decision to become a lawyer AND my failure to do so). I lived for 17+ years with someone who "playfully picked" at everything I did, pointing out all of the flaws and failures. 

Yet, if I don't TRY then I didn't fail, I simply didn't do and I can come up with a million reasons  excuses why.

I am working to acknowledge my fear of failure and even to retrain my brain to think of failure as ONLY that which I do not try.

For this upcoming week I am going to tackle 3 daily tasks that I believe will help make my life better AND improve my time management.

I HATE walking into a kitchen with dirty dishes. So to try to keep the dirty dishes at a minimum I will wash 1 load of dishes a day.

Cat litter. I clean the boxes, put fresh litter in and then commit to cleaning them daily, and the I don't. So today I will clean the cat litter boxes (entirely) and refill them with clean litter, then before bed I will scoop them and first thing in the morning I will scoop them again. 

Pick it up and put it away. Every time I walk out of a room I will remove one item that does not belong in that room and put it away. Away might be a space in another room, a storage box in the attic, the recycle bin, the trash or a staging area to list it on one of the multiple Facebook sites I am using to declutter my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time read our ramblings and comment on our Blog.