Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Celebrating the Small Steps

It took longer than I anticipated, and I am not close to finished, but I am learning to celebrate the small steps.

The Christmas Tree is down, and picked-up by City Refuse. I am a little confused though, as I was under the impression that the City of Rochester composted Christmas Trees, but apparently they do not as it was picked up by a large refuse truck (the ones they send out for furniture and the like) and tossed in the bucket with the mattresses and other trash. Which means that if I am in Rochester for next Christmas I need to make sure my tree is recycled. Wonder if Community Composting has a program for Christmas Trees? (This is not a paid link, I am just hoping that if they do not have a Christmas Tree Composting Program they consider the potential need for one). 

Ornaments and Tree stand are still sitting in the living room, but that can be remedied before I go to bed tonight. 

I did manage to wash the Front window wall and the front window. I also pulled out a piece of cardboard to use as additional insulation for that window. The drywall is in pretty good shape. I pulled out three nails and will need to fill those holes. Then there is a single crack above the window that also needs repair. Drywall repair supplies I have, so that is on my list to complete. Once the repairs are made the whole wall will be sanded and I would like to prep it for painting. This is one of the rooms I do not yet have the paint for, but I do have primer, so it will be primed. 

I have the white wooden displays on the front porch that I would like to bring in. I haven't decided if I want to put them in a square formation (requiring some hardware to hold them together) with a tufted cushion top. Think seating, footstool or coffee table. Or if I want to line them behind the current seating. Ideally with cushion tops for additional seating when necessary. What I have decided is that I am going to leave the drawers out and potentially use baskets (if I can find some the right size). The drawers are heavy and close fast often pinching fingers.  I'll find another use for the drawers (maybe a bookcase).

The displays are press board with veneer. I'll have to look into my options to refinish them to make them look nicer. Maybe a heather grey finish to look like drift wood? Maybe a marble finish?

I have a second window and wall to clean and prepare for insulation. I was also looking at the interior door for the entryway and noticed that the trim was installed incorrectly. The one side is pushed to far back causing the opposite side to be pushed to far out and the glass not to be secure. So I'll need to remove the trim on both side and reset the glass. The door itself could use a sanding and fresh stain. I'll see what I can set up in the basement to move this project there. 

As for the floor vents and air returns I have put off cleaning them, but I was forced into cleaning the air return when the Ruffle Puff peed next to it. There is still more to be scraped out and then a good clean down with some essential oil, vinegar and hot water is in order. 

My small vacuum works great, but when I have the cash I would like to order 2 additional filters for it. The filter clogs easy, and it needs to be washed and allowed to dry. Having two more will make using it easier. I still have to drag the vacuum up from the basement to see if it works. I DID vacuum the chairs and they are much cleaner now. 

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time read our ramblings and comment on our Blog.