Monday, April 4, 2016

Wednesday Wellness - Overwhelming Fatigue

I have for most of my life suffered from overwhelming fatigue. I could sleep all day long and not feel rested, well or ready to go. My parents even tell anyone who they knew I was such a great child, because I was always falling asleep right after dinner, never missed a nap..... everything about my childhood points to a fatigue issue. That isn't to say I didn't play, I did, but I also napped several times a day. I can't help but fall asleep in the car (unless I am driving) and even when a good movie was on tv and we were allowed to stay up and watch I always fell asleep in the middle. 

I had planned on Spring Cleaning this past week, but I didn't and I won't allow myself to feel bad about that. I didn't have the energy to do the Spring cleaning. I had the desire but not the energy. While I have never truly felt energized, I feel better when I eat well. 

Eating well is a challenge when one is on a small budget. It is difficult to make sure the kids have enough to feel full AND that it is food they like AND that I can afford. I received $363 per month to feed 3 people 3 meals a day 3 days a week and 2 people 3 meals a day the other 4 days a week (3-4 days a week Lu goes to her father's and he feeds her, although she often would make smoothies here to take with her). Even with the Bonus Coupons for using my EBT at the Public Market it wasn't enough.  

I received food stamps from May 2015 through March 2016, and am no longer eligible because Monroe County, the State of New York and the Federal Government all feel that I should be receiving some form of child support, so until I have a decree giving me child support or denying me child support I am NO LONGER ELIGIBLE for assistance. 

At any rate I am currently able to budget $100 per week to feed my family. Again this is NOT a lot of money to feed all of us. Limitations like this are the reason that families fall into bad habits of boxed mac n cheese, hot dogs, grilled cheese/pbj sandwiches and chips. So my dilemma for the next few months is to figure out how to eat well and eat well for less. I WILL NOT compromise and buy inferior quality foods. I would love to try a Ketogenic Diet but healthy fat sources are expensive and I don't believe I can do it. Lu is currently doing Keto and it is costly.  Instead I'll simply do my best to increase my healthy fat intake, decrease my carbs (focusing on grain carbs, and processed carbs), and increase protein. 

My sleep is also currently an issue. It could be that I don't have a comfortable bed to sleep in, or that I am stressed about money, or that I have some long term autoimmune issue that has never been diagnosed (because I don't have the time or the money to have such things investigated), it could be my lack of activity, my poor diet, lack of sufficient water OR ALL OF THE ABOVE. Right now I have to do what I can to focus on improving my health. That means more daily walks (free), eating as best as I can with my budget constraints, and trying to let go of the stress. Stressing over my lack of funds will not change my lack of funds.

I'd love to try Chiropractic Care and Acupuncture but right now (financially) those are luxuries. 

One step forward, One Day at a time, one small change.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time read our ramblings and comment on our Blog.